Saturday, July 11, 2009

A blog on women in the orient by someone from the occident

The title is a mouth full, eh?

Call me biased, but I am going to advertise my girlfriend's blog because I think her writing is well thought out and perceptive. Her focus is on woman's right in Egypt and her daily experiences being a woman in Cairo.

With that a short comment on her hypothesis that:

"many women here dress in conservative Islamic clothing to lessen the harassment and that men are the source of the unofficial dress code"

I can see the rational behind the analysis of women dressing more conservatively to avoid harassment, but what about all the girls in Cairo who wear a hijab with skin tight turtleneck shirt and skinny jeans?

Anyways.

Take a look around Abi in the Middle East, it will be a refreshing new look after being bored to death on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment